What is Social-Emotional Development?
Social-emotional development can be defined as the development of a child’s emotions and how they communicate and interact with others.
Why is Social-Emotional Development important?
- It helps to express emotions in a positive way
- It helps to maintain a positive relationship with peers
- It can influence self- confidence and empathy
- It helps students to understand who they are as an individual
- It influences all other areas of development
When a child’s social- emotional needs are meet, the child will experience fewer behavioral problem, experience a greater chance of success inside of the classroom and learn to manage his/her emotions.
How do we support our students Social-Emotional Development at Ignite?
At Ignite, student receive Moral Education lessons which covers four pillars of teaching and learning: character and morality; the individual and the community; civic studies; and cultural studies. The foundation of the program commencing in grade 1, introduces students to the concepts of fairness, caring, and honesty, family and friendship as well as heritage. Continuing through to grade 4, students are taught interlinking units from the character and morality, individual and community and cultural studies pillars.
Students also have access to a personal- social counselor whose main responsibility is to care for the whole child; personal, social and academic. Students can request to see Mrs. Crystal by simply asking their teacher.
For more information about Moral Education, please visit https://moraleducation.ae/
A Few Reason for Visiting Your School Counselor
- Transitioning from elementary to middle school
- Anger Management
- Depression / Anxiety
- Stress Management
- Career Exploration
- Test anxiety
How can you support your child’s Social-Emotional Development at home?
- Nurture your child’s self esteem
- Model positive behavior
- Practice active listening.
- Take advantage of support services.
- If you notice something, say something. We are here to help.
For more information and helpful strategies, check out Ignite’s School Counseling Department monthly newsletter or contact Mrs. Crystal at C.Dixon@igniteschool.ae.